Saturday, December 28, 2013

101 in 1001: Books I've Read

Another 101 in 1001 goal that I set for myself was to keep a list of all the books I read.  So I'm starting that now!  Again, I know I'm cheating, because I said I wouldn't start until 2014, but I just finished a really good book, and I wanted to get started.  So here, I'll be keeping track of all the books I read over the course of my next 1001 days in chronological order.  I'm mostly putting down things I read for fun, but I'll include some of the things I read for classes if I like them particularly. Feel free to join me if you'd like--make your own list, and keep checking back here for new reads!

  1. The Autograph Man by Zadie Smith: so good!  I loved Smith's other books and had heard not so great things about this one, but I really enjoyed it.  Standard witty Smith sense of humor, believable characters, and questions about modernity.
  2. The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides: working on this one now! Finished! I didn't like this as much as I liked his other two books, but it was still good. It's gotten a number of negative reviews that I don't think it deserves. In the same way that Middlesex is sort of an American epic, he does some interesting things at sort of a meta level in this book too.
  3. If on a winter's night a traveler by Italo Calvino: I read this for a class, and it is great; it plays with narrative and form and reading itself. So fun to read, quick, witty. I don't want to give too much away, and I don't know that I'd recommend it to everyone--it might not be what most people would consider a beach read, but if you're into literature, hit me up because you need to read this.
  4. Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov: The bad is that this made me feel like I was losing it, the same way that reading Beckett's Molloy did. But the good is that it's interesting, my first Nabokov, and apparently has a huge cult following (I swear, Google it, people are like divided into camps about the main character).
  5. Double Down by Mark Halpernin & John Heilemann: working on this one too, by the authors of Game Change, about the 2012 US Presidential Election race.  So far just as good as the last!


No comments:

Post a Comment